November 4, 2012

Winter Hair Care

Now that we are moving into the winter season it's time to start thinking about the products that we are using on our hair, skin, etc. Especially with our climate, the colder it gets the drier it gets and that care cause havoc on our bodies, more importantly our hair.

That being said, with the right products and know how you can offer relief to your hair this winter. I have found some products that I have been using over the past month of two and will continue to use throughout winter. They have really been a savior when it comes to the nourishment of my hair.

I have thick, curly, color treated hair, the perfect combination for the biggest hair disaster in history if I am not careful. Winter time really adds environmental stress to my hair on top of the other factors I am dealing with.

Like I said I have found a few products and hair care essentials that have helped immensely and I wanted to share them with you!

One of the products I have been using and that I would recommend for any hair type was brought to my attention by my stylist. It has been a major player in my hair care revival. It's the Joico Restorative Styling Oil, basically Joico's version of an Argan Oil Treatment. I have been a huge fan of Joico for years and love so many of their products, but this one by far is the best.



True to the Joico brand it is infused with Keratin protein, which is the primary protein your hair is made up of. This oil can be used in the hair wet or dry and personally I use it both ways. I use a pump before I blow dry and a pump after and what a difference this product has made. My hair is softer and feels stronger. I recommend this product for any hair type this winter, especially those that are subjected to a drier colder winter. This product is amazing for those who have curly hair, it has made my curls less frizzy when I do choose to wear it curly. I will say a little goes a long way!

Another product that I am using and have been for the past year and a half and have repurchased twice now is the John Frieda Heat Defeat. I have blogged about this product before but it really does make a difference in protecting the hair from heat tool damage. Heat tools combined with dry weather can really cause stress on the hair, using a heat defense product can make all the difference. This product is tried, tested, and true. It really helps to soften the hair and fight the frizz as well.





I spray this in my hair before I blow dry usually concentrating on the bottom half of my hair strands, finishing off by combing through the hair.

I usually switch up my shampoo and conditioner twice a year, my hair responds best when doing this. Right now I am using, you guessed it, Joico! I am using the K-Pak Shampoo and Conditioner and then twice a week I use the Joico Deep Penetrating Reconstructor. This product acts as my deep conditioner and does an amazing job! Something to remember when using your deep conditioner is to use no more than the size of a quarter if you have shoulder length hair or shorter and a bit more than that for longer hair. Hair will only absorb so much for so long, so you only need to leave your deep conditioner in for the recommended time, anything longer will not be doing any good for your hair. A good analogy is to think of your hair as cooked spaghetti, it can only absorb so much water before it reaches maximum size!


Using products that work to help protect your hair from environmental damage is important this time of year, but there are a few other things you can do to ensure healthy hair for the season!

1. Get regular trims. Especially if you color your hair or have any other chemical service done to your hair this includes, perming, straightening, etc. Chemicals cause stress on the hair and will dry the hair out, with the weather being drier as well, the hair can become even more brittle causing breakage on the ends of the hair.

2. Use a wide tooth comb. You can get these from your stylist or from the drugstore. It's important to use a wide tooth comb to brush wet hair. So much breakage on the hair is from tugging at it when it's wet. Using a comb like this helps detangle without snapping hair mid shaft.

3. Take your vitamins. Now I am not claiming to be a nutritionist and you should always check with your health care provider when taking new vitamins, etc. I have been taking a vitamin called Biotin. I started taking it a couple of months ago and it is supposed to promote healthier skin, nails and hair. I do believe it to be working. My hair and nails have been on a growth spurt. I can't comment on my skin, because my skincare routine takes care of that, but I do think it is having some effect on my hair and nails. 

So there you have my hair care product recommendations and a few healthy hair care tips! Remember try to limit the heat stress and be a little extra gentle this time of year and your hair will thank you!!






No comments:

Post a Comment