August 27, 2013

The Nail Files: Polka Dot Nails


It's that time of year when Summer is transitioning into Fall and I couldn't be more excited. Don't get me wrong I love Summer, who doesn't? It's just that there are so many things that I love about Fall. Like the candle scents, cozy clothing, and the nail polish!

That is why I decided to do a nail post today! I wanted to show how you can make the transition from Summer polish colors to Fall polishes without feeling like to have to say goodbye to the brights and pastels or make the commitment to the darker polishes. Transitional nails make that possible and today's look was inspired by just that!

I used taupe and coral. Taupe representing the coziness that comes with Fall and coral the Summer months of warmth and fun! I wore coral like crazy over the Summer! What was your Summer polish color of choice?

Remember if you don't have these exact polishes don't worry, use whatever you have that is similar!

So, if you want to find out how I completed this transitional nail art here you go......


First the colors I used: {left to right}

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in White On
love & beauty from Forever 21 in Taupe
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in Coral Reef

Tools:

A dotting tool
Paper towel

Here's How:

Paint all nails except for the little finger using Taupe. I like to paint 2 coats so it is a solid base color.

Paint the little finger with 2 coats of Coral Reef.

Allow nails to dry.

Next, drop a small amount of Coral Reef and White Out onto a paper towel.

Now the fun part! Using the dotting tool and White On create a mix of smaller and larger dots in a random pattern following along the outside cuticle from base of cuticle to tip.

Using a clean dotting tool and Coral Reef dot randomly between the previous made dots.

Allow to dry and then apply a top coat. My favorite is Essie good to go!

It's that simple and looks really put together but fun! I love the coral and taupe, I think they really compliment eachother well!

What do you think of transitional nail art? Using 2 opposite, but complimentary seasonal polishes together to connect Summer and Fall polishes.



14 comments:

  1. beautiful :D what camera do you use? the pictures are amazing!!! xxx

    rorolovesbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It is a Sony DSC-WX80! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome idea. I've veen struggling between summer vs. Fall polishes the last week or two, so this is perfect!

    Jenna ♥ ♥
    Northern Beauty85

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Normally not a fan of nail art but like this a lot! Thanks for sharing! :)

    BritishBeautyAddict

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen dots done like this before! I LOVEEEE

    xo
    ChaChaTheFashionGenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I'm going to be doing my nails tomorrow or Friday, maybe I'll incorporate dots too.

    fairestsfavorites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

      Delete
  6. I love this nail look!
    I really need to get some dotting tools, I want to try to be a little more adventurous with my nails now that I've managed to grow them out :)
    Brilliant photography, too!

    Emily x - prettypleaseprettyplease.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete